Thursday 18 June 2009

Too busy to blog

What is it about the end of the school year? We are heading in a frenzy towards the last week of Grade 1 and in the past few days I have attended or been invited to attend:
  • A football match, Anna was a defender and was very pleased with the silver medal awarded to the runners up ( they lost 3-4)
  • The Lucky Viking - A musical performance staring all the school - Anna was middle of the middle row of the chorus, singing the first and last songs. Could just glimpse her through the small K1 children and the ambitious lighting. Thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing. And as an aside, think the teachers were really brave for putting this on.
  • Grade 1 open house - this was yesterday, the children recited their poems etc about the vikings. I just made it with about 30 seconds to spare - literally grabbed Sam up from his nap and threw him in the car. Fed him handfuls of raisins throughout the whole thing to keep him quiet.
  • Activity Day - this is tomorrow, another middle of the day one - running around, cheering on the School houses and dressing in the appropriate colours. Even providing snacks in the right colours (red - I'm thinking watermelon, if I manage to get to the supermarket today).
  • Grade 1 end of year party - on the weekend this one, more running around, more snacks - wouldn't be so bad schedule wise, only I've double-booked myself and I'm not sure how to get out of it!
  • Another whole school end of year party - on the beach, running around, more food platters to be conjured up

Even Sam's nursery is getting in on the act and we are supposed to participate in an Arbejdsdag, the Sommerfest, the Bondegårdstur, the fælles frokost, and so on. Not to mention the forældresamtale, where they tell you what a harmonious and advanced baby you have (as if we didn't already know that).

In reality I think these events are less to do with the children and more to do with the parents. But they often have little respect for the working parent's schedules (even those part-time-flexible-schedule-working-from-home-types) or those with extra little children running around.. and in these last few weeks it has been tough for me to keep up. And I don't think I am the only one...not all the parents managed to make it to this open house thing and it must be hard to be the little girl or boy who is one of the only ones in the class not showing off their folder to an adoring adult.

All these things really eat into the little time I have available to work. Might be also to do with the fact that I have a work project going on at the moment that is giving me a headache and it isn't helping that my PC seems to have caught some major infestation that makes it go so slow that I feel like I am back in 1990 (remember that, when it was normal to wait minutes for pages to load?).

Anyway, all I have to do is find those errant reading books and get Anna to return them to school before her last day. Figure out some time to get to the physiotherapist appointments (to fix my messed up arms - a result of trying to do much of all this one-handed with Sam on my hip). And plan delicious dish(es) to take with me to all these events (do you think I can get away with a packet of biscuits? No, I think not).

Oh, and throw some clothes in the washing machine, unless it is appropriate to turn up half dressed.

(I obviously have no time to blog. Oh, that's right. It's called procrastinating.)

3 comments:

  1. Hej Cathy, I LOVE your blog:-), even though we don't meet up much i can still see what you're all up to:-)

    I totally have to agree regarding all the activities at school/pllayschool, i am at work (erm, don't tell anyone i am mailing you!) just now trying to make up time due to summer parties etc etc etc, but hey, it's lovely to see how proud the wee ones are:-)

    sorry to hear about your arm probs...can kinda (maybe not quite the same) relate to that, as callum is still insisting on 'you carry me', my m and d are here and dad commented on my huge arm muscles!! haha:-)

    lovely to see the beach pics, have you beento the beach at Kulhuse?

    b.f.n.
    emma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I ADORE your blog. I read the whole thing (yup, really) from beginning to end a few days ago. I feel like I know you! I am a daughter of a Derek too...

    Seriously this is right up there in my top 5 favourtie blogs. More please!

    Oh, my back is completely wrecked from hauling two small boys around all the time. Grrrr, what we go through for them.

    Spud x

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh wow, you are all so nice. I am blushing.

    ReplyDelete