Saturday 1 August 2009

Cars, trains, boats and Sweden

Things learnt on the trip to Helsingborg today:
  • Samuel absolutely loved the train.
  • Samuel loved the boat too.
  • We can pretty much make it from our house to a lovely cafe in Sweden in an hour.
  • Stuff is cheaper in Sweden.
  • Shopping with Samuel is still a pain - as helpful as that play table in the shop is while you are browsing, it is a complete operation to get him away from it when you need to leave. (Prying the tractor from his hands, lifting the screaming child up, and trying to exit with some dignity intact. He is really strong.)
  • Although they understand my questions in Danish just fine, I cannot understand the Swedish replies. Must stop speaking Danish when I am in Sweden.
  • Do not underestimate the value of surprise squirty water fountains near a cafe stop in the afternoon - Samuel enthralled = time to drink cafe latte.
  • Having one child for a day trip out is easier than two. He was outnumbered.
  • Having only Samuel with us made us feel like really old parents. We wanted to tell people "this is our second one, you know..."
  • Helsingborg is a great city on a sunny day.
  • Should have taken the camera.

2 comments:

  1. Ha, so funny...yes it feels easy/odd with just one child. Makes you wonder about all the fuss we made when we had just one doesn't it? Because it was a walk in the park by comparison...

    I'm so totally stupid about geography. I only realised very recently that there's a bridge from denmark to sweden. That's embarrassing.
    Shopping with children is the pits, whatever they do to try to make it easier for you...

    Camera, yes...never leave home without one. I nearly always have my 'big' camera with me, but I will often use my iphone camera if needs be. My whole post of yesterday was shot with my iphone (stuff about postboxes..!) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello...Yes, there is a bridge, but we didn't go that way - you can also take a very short ferry ride from Helsingør in Denmark to Helsingborg in Sweden. Much closer to us and cheaper than the bridge..

    ReplyDelete