Sunday 12 July 2009

How did it get so late so soon?

Aksel and I went out to a proper grown-up dinner party last night. No kids. Eight other adults and plenty of good conversation, food, and drink. We couldn't remember the last time we had done something similar together. It was great fun, and stupidly thrilling to be out of the house at 5pm on a Saturday evening. We left Farmor in charge of Anna and Samuel and all went very well even though it was those horrible hours between 5pm and 8pm when children need feeding and washing and pyjama-ering and everyone, quite frankly, has had enough.

So anyway. Aksel and I left the long list of operating instructions with Farmor, (at least for Samuel. Anna is more self-operating these days.) But then, of course, there was also the DVD player, the TV remote(s), the cat, the tricky bath tap, and the oven, that all needed a little bit of explanation.

And then I needed a bit of extra time to actually make myself appropriate for adult company. Long gone are the days when a dash of lip gloss and splash of perfume will transform me into gorgeous and divine. Nope. We'd been in the garden all day so definitely needed a shower and then the whole what to wear thing rears its head (see the begininning of this post - it has been ages since we've done this - what does one wear?)

So, needless to say, we were running late. Not dreadfully. Just a bit. And we let our hosts know. In the end, we were 19 minutes late to be exact. It bothered Aksel much more than me. It must be a Danish/English difference, I think.

Unfortunately, Samuel didn't get the "sleep late" memo, and woke up as usual, nice and chirpy at 7am. So we have been paying the price for the late night today.
We spent much of the morning picking raspberries in the garden (well, Anna and I were picking, Samuel was eating) and then Anna ate them with icecream after lunch. And we're all on holiday tomorrow, so there's plenty of time to recover.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds so familiar to me...we hardly ever go out, and when we do we go after the children are in bed. But I want to goto the theatre, but that involves someone else putting them to bed. I think they'd be ok, but the 'operating instructions' for both children and house are too tedious to contemplate!!

    Have a wonderful holiday x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Cathy, I enjoy reading your blog,thankful
    Randi could help and Sam was good. Why not have
    a few nights in London minus two beautiful
    children! I think writing is therapeutic.love M x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agre with Anonymous...come to London so I can meet you ;-)

    ReplyDelete